The improvement of society, respect for the environment and sustainable economic growth has always been part of the philosophy of GESAB. Now we take another step by signing the United Nations Global Compact. This international initiative promotes the implementation of 10 universally accepted principles in the areas of Human Rights, Labour Standards, Environment and Anti-Corruption.
The Global Compact is a framework to develop, implement and disclose policies and practices of corporate sustainability. Companies are receiving a wide range of resources and management tools to help them implement sustainable business models that add value to society as a whole.
The Global Compact aims 2 basic objectives: to channel actions in support of broader UN goals , including the Millennium Development Goals ( MDGs), and to incorporate the 10 principles in business activities around the world, summarized in :
1. Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights
2. Businesses should make sure they are not complicit in human rights abuses
3. Businesses should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining
4. Businesses should uphold the elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour.
5. Businesses should uphold the effective abolition of child labour
6. Businesses should uphold the elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
7. Businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges
8. Businesses should undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility
9. Businesses should encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies
10. Businesses should work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery
Thus, GESAB undertakes to promote business sustainability by implementing these 10 universal principles in order to continue to provide value to our customers, employees, shareholders, local communities, environment and society in general.